Hey, thanks for visiting. I’m a journalist, writer and photographer. My reporting has been published by Al Jazeera, the Guardian, Newsweek, NPR, VICE Magazine, Univision Noticias, the Christian Science Monitor, U.S. News & World Report and others.
My writing has been translated into more than half a dozen languages, and cited by multiple media outlets and academic journals. I’ve given talks in the U.S. and Ecuador about my work.
I’m Chicano, and speak Spanish. Right now I’m focusing my reporting on Latin America and disadvantaged communities in the U.S. Prior to 2018 I reported from Ethiopia, Equatorial Guinea, Somaliland (Somalia), Thailand, Turkey, Mexico, Bolivia, Ecuador and across the United States.
Get in touch if you want to work together, feature my work, see a CV or get a drink and mull over journalism: email@example.com
Some honors I’ve been fortunate enough to receive:
- Named Equitable Cities fellow by Next City, 2016-2017.
- Photography selected for juried exhibition at Marin Society of Artists, California, June 2017.
- Awarded travel grant by Solutions Journalism Network, August 2017.
- Named senior fellow at the Schuster Institute for Investigative Journalism, 2018.
- Awarded major reporting grant by Fund for Investigative Journalism, 2018.
- Named “Member of the Month” by Solutions Journalism Network, February 2018.
- Named Boehm Media Fellow, 2018.
Photo by Ryan Magdaleno.