Hey, thanks for visiting. I’m a journalist, writer, and photographer. My reporting has been published by Al Jazeera, the Guardian, Newsweek, NPR, VICE Magazine, Univision Noticias, the Christian Science Monitor, U.S. News & World Report, T: The New York Times Style Magazine, and others.
My writing has been translated into more than half a dozen languages, and cited by multiple media outlets and academic journals. I’ve given talks in the U.S. and Ecuador about my work.
I’m Chicano, and speak Spanish. Right now I’m focusing my reporting on Latin America and disadvantaged communities in the U.S. Prior to 2018 I reported from Ethiopia, Equatorial Guinea, Somaliland (Somalia), Thailand, Turkey, Mexico, Bolivia, Ecuador, and across the United States.
Get in touch if you want to work together, feature my work, see a CV, or meet up to mull over journalism: firstname.lastname@example.org
Some honors I’ve been fortunate enough to receive:
- Awarded Equitable Cities fellowship by Next City, 2016-2017.
- Photography selected for juried exhibition at Marin Society of Artists, California, June 2017.
- Awarded travel grant by Solutions Journalism Network, August 2017.
- Awarded senior fellowship by the Schuster Institute for Investigative Journalism at Brandeis University, 2018.
- Awarded major reporting grant by Fund for Investigative Journalism, 2018.
- Named “Member of the Month” by Solutions Journalism Network, February 2018.
- Named Logan Symposium fellow at the 12th Annual Reva & David Logan Symposium on Investigative Reporting, April 2018.
- Named Boehm Media fellow at Opportunity Collaboration, May 2018.
Photo by Ryan Magdaleno.